22.06.03- Specific Architectures (Ross) Contributor Compensation Request

22.06.03- Specific Architectures (Ross) Contributor Compensation Request

Payment Info

Rate: Monthly Rate is $10,000/Mo.

70% ($7000) in USDC

30% ($3000) in YAM. 30-day average price for YAM is $0.20. 3000 / 0.22 = 15,000 YAM

Pay Amount Documentation: This is going to be a little confusing as we are migrating to a new compensation model based on grants while still partly using the old model. 30 Hours per week of my compensation is coming from the Yam ReOrg Silo (May Grant) which was approved via snapshot here. The rest (10 hrs) is still part of the old model, which is the same rate as the grant ($10k/month) as seen in this snapshot and is for all work done outside the scope of the Yam ReOrg silo work.

Time-frame: Month of May

Hours Worked: 8hrs x 22 days = 176 hrs

Wallet for payment: 0x88c868B1024ECAefDc648eb152e91C57DeA984d0

Background

I work on YAM full time who has focused on improving the operations, organizational structure, and efficiency of YAM. I have also contributed project management and design work for the YAM website and YAM Synths, both conceptual and front end. My original employment proposal is located here: Full-time contributor request for Ross

Goals

I am continuing to work on designing and specifying a model for YAM that allows for more accountability and flexibility around how work gets done. This entails changes to project structure as well as the structure for the day to day functioning of YAM. My goal is to turn YAM into a truly decentralized organization that does not rely on any specific group of contributors to succeed. In the last month I have been working to further refine this vision and document it along with @designer and @chillzone. More information in the next section.

Work Done

YAM Reorg

• I have continued to work on refining and developing the YAM re-org design, implementation and documentation and my work this month can be seen in this document: https://yam-reorg-docs.super.site under “current docs”. This document is still in draft form and is presented here to show progress. Along with @designer and @chilly I have been refining the structure and content of the information and coordinating with them to distill it down into a shorter, more accessible form.
  • Beyond the content of the above report, I have also worked on the formatting and layout of the website in which it is presented. This too is a work in progress and will need to be coordinated with a final presentation state coordinated with @designer and @chilly.
  • In practice testing and refinement of some of the processes proposed including going through the process with this project. You can see the application document here: https://forum.yam.finance/t/yam-reorg-silo-creation-and-may-grant-application/1670
  • I spent a fair amount of time thinking through how the system was working in practice via snake’s Yambassador Proposal which provided an interesting test case.
  • I have written a draft requirements document for the ReOrg here: https://github.com/rossgalloway/YAM-rePlanted/blob/master/YAM%20Replanted%20requirements.md

Misc. Other

Lessons Learned

The lessons learned from the Yambassadors proposal are what have stuck with me the most. Judging the value of a proposal and work to be done for the DAO is a complex process, especially when not all the information is known or the scope of work is outside one’s knowledge-base. The actions I took in objecting to the cost of the work that snake proposed was not something I did lightly and I did not do it out of spite or ill will. I did it because I do not believe that the proposal is good value for the DAO’s money and I can do the work for significantly cheaper and equally well.

These events have raised questions about how we go about making sure that contributors and participants in the DAO are empowered and enabled to really take a hard look at proposals and speak their minds about them. What do we have to do to make sure that someone can’t just push through a half-assed proposal and hope that no one notices? How should someone who does raise those objections be compensated? How can we ensure that people are paying attention and if we pay someone or a few people to pay attention, how do we assure their impartiality?

In order for YAM to succeed it cannot be corrupt. And in order to assure that it isn’t corrupt then we need norms around preventing corruption and people who are willing to call it out when they see it. That is not easy, and people who do are often attacked or singled out for having done so.

I will continue to call out issues with the DAO as I see them and work on building a system for the DAO that prevents corruption, but I can’t do it alone and I hope that others see that what we are trying to build here is a difficult, but exciting experiment that will have mis-steps and issues, but if we succeed then we will have created a unique new entity that people will pay attention to.