YAM DAO Grant Application

1. What is your name? Pseudonyms are cool too. :disguised_face:
Chilly

2. What is your discord/telegram handle? :speaking_head:

#chillzone5532

3. Project Name :building_construction:
What should we call your project?

Yam Design Studio

4. Project Description :thinking: (140 words or less)
*Give a summary of the project you are proposing *

We want to launch our DAO’s in-house creative agency helping design and build beautiful branding, imagery, and experiences for the DAO.

5. About You :busts_in_silhouette:
Tell us about you and your team. What experience do you and your team have that is relevant to the project. Please provide github profiles, websites, prior work, etc

We are a 2 person team - myself and my IRL partner. Our background is in design, film, and fine art. We are a small mom-and-pop studio in USA.

We designed past visuals for Yam including:

Marketing Visuals for Yam / Uma collaborations

Yam DAO Visuals

Metaverse Architecture for Yam

Yam POAP Badges

6. Project Goals and Scope :rocket:
If the project succeeds, what goals will it achieve? How do we measure that success? Please provide specific KPIs. If you are unsure of how to do this, do the best you can and we can work it out together.

Answer:

Our scope of work for May 2022 will be:

1. Design Support for the Yam Re-Org Project

• Participate in Yam Re-Org Product Development Meetings
  • Branding Imagery for the Yam Re-Org
  • Social Media Imagery for the Yam Re-Org
  • Visuals for the Yam Re-Org Medium Article
  • Yam Re-Org POAP Badge Design

2. Create “Yam Replanted” Website

• Website will have a clean, magazine-style layout to tell the Yam Re-Org story in an easy way.
  • Website will collect highlights from the “Yam Re-Org Living Docs” and research papers on the forum.
  • V1 has been built: https://yam.super.site/
  • The goal this month would be to refine the design further and update the site with new content generated from the community.

3. “Yam Open House” Metaverse Idea

• Research creation of a Yam Open House in the Metaverse to showcase Yam Re-Org in Metaverse.
  • Concept references / sketches of the Yam Open House for community, with a possible 3D mock-up.

7. Milestones :placard:
What are the steps that you plan to follow to complete this project. Is it one step or multiple? If there are multiple then please list all of them.

Answer: The milestone would be the delivery of the assets above.

We have a short runway for the Silo for the time being and plan to submit future design proposals based on the branding / visual needs that emerge from the community.

8. YAM / Ecosystem Benefit :blush:
What value does your project add to YAM and the wider ecosystem? How do we measure that benefit?

Answer: Create good design to build relationships with our community and audience.

9. Funding Request and Breakdown :money_with_wings:
Please include the total funding amount that you need and also include a breakdown of how the funds will be used across each part of the project.

Answer: $8K - 70% in USDC, 30% in YAM - paid upon completion of the above.

10. Other Information :question:
Imagine you’re a YAM holder. What else do you think we should know about your application?

Answer: We’d love to also do more metaverse development projects if anyone from the community would like to chat a related silo idea.

2 Likes

A very good silo. I support your proposal.

It seems like I’ve taken all the attention with my silo and there hasn’t been much discussion on moving this forward. This is a relatively small grant at 8k, but the deliverables also seem pretty open ended. I’d love to see what comes of this initial grant in terms of graphic design but art being so subjective, I have no clue how voters would properly validate success or even begin to value ROI.

While I somewhat understand the deliverables, there aren’t any KPIs or ways to measure success included in this application. That being said, with something as intangible as marketing through graphic design… It might not be so easy to measure success in just a month.

Some ideas from the web

• % of designs accepted by stakeholders
  • average turn around time
  • % of designs delivered by/before deadline
  • average number of revisions/redesigns per product before acceptance

@chilly Do you have some ideas as to how we could apply some of these KPIs to this type of silo for this proposal or proposals like this one moving forward?

@feddas and @ross any input as to what you’d want to see as KPIs for this type of work?

Can you please break this down into USD/YAM as our last approved governance vote regarding compensation requires a 70/30 max split. (Snapshot and forum discussion).

I have created a discussion thread about changing this requirement that can be viewed here: Compensation parameters. If you would like to see these parameters changed, we must decide how and then go through governance to do so.

Hey Snake!

Trying to be fluid with the process… so I proposed a short-term runway and small budget for Yam Design Studio since we’re still testing out Yam Silo workflows.

For deliverables - the goal would be to submit what’s outlined above:

• Branding Imagery, Social Media Imagery for the Yam Re-Org Project
  • “Yam Replanted” Website Released in Public
  • Ideas for the Yam Open House Metaverse

If the community is satisfied with the above, the community can decide to confirm the funding, and green light the next iteration of work.

re: revisions + redesigns - atm I’m thinking open meetings to solicit feedback on WIP work, with work also shared on forums when completed.

ya 70/30 is good w me, i’ll revise OP

Want to throw this up on a snapshot to confirm or just wait to do a retro active snapshot like with the Reorg silo?

I’d support either.

Thanks Chilly,

Could you include more detail about how your going to bundle your work with our current infrastructure?
Also when winding down this silo, what do you expect maintainence will be and who will be able to continue updates?
Are there any plans to include the ability for approved/granted silos to keep updated on the website?

Looks great Chilly

Hey Feddas! Apologies for the late reply here on the forums.

1. The Yam Design is not meant to be the central source for all design solutions for the DAO - each Silo is free to collaborate with either the studio or on-board outside design teams! We’ll make proposals each month on design tasks based on needs that we see and will work on projects approved by the DAO.

2. The Yam Replanted site has Notion on the back-end, which we’ll make accessible to every silo in the DAO.

3. Yes - each silo is free to update the website via Notion!

Maybe we should consider working this into the requirements for each silo to update their respective silos for transparency or did we have another solution for silo transparency? @ross @designer

Summary of the work done in the Yam Design Silo will be documented here on the forum as well as on our Yam Design Studio page.

1. “Yam Replanted” Website

• The website is set up in a way that will allow for members of other silos to update their subpages in an easy manner.

• The site is a work-in-progress so please forgive any bugs.

• Images of the site:

2. Branding Imagery, Social Media Imagery for the Yam Replanted Project

Created the images below for an upcoming Yam Replanted medium post.

The visual strategy for this imagery is to conjure a feeling of warmth and positivity for the Yam Brand in hopes of helping re-grow the Yam community. Since “Yam Replanted” is about simplifying the DAO core structure, we also worked with a minimal aesthetic in mind to be in harmony with that attitude.

3. Ideas for the Yam Replanted Metaverse Exhibit

Here are work in progress images of a Yam Replanted metaverse exhibit in Cryptovoxels. We’re working with a clean architecture aesthetic to allow for the text and ideas to stand out. Playing with the idea of windows to conjure feelings of openness.

Please let me know any feedback below!

Yam Design Studio 3 month Grant (June-August)

This grant application is the second grant within the existing Yam Design Studio Silo. For this grant the Design Studio intends to change from a monthly to a quarterly grant period.

The purpose of the quarterly grant is to streamline the process on long-term and or ongoing Silo projects. The desired effect is a lighter governance load so both silo participants and token holders are less bogged down in unneeded governance processes.

Quarterly Grant

This quarterly (3 month) grant request serves as a funding container. It will work as follows:

1. Each silo participant provides an hourly range with a monthly not to exceed maximum
  2. At the end of each month transparency reports are filed by the silo participants
  3. Payments are paid on a monthly basis based on the actual hours worked
  4. Token holders always retain the ability to stop a silo by submitting a Snapshot proposal

Why Quarterly?

Besides the reduced management overhead, the advantage to the silo structure is that it provides a high level of flexibility for the silo participants to manage their own time and project. The idea is to avoid participant burn out, apathy or abandonment of projects through striking a balance between freedom and accountability. Flexible hourly commitments can encourage long-term participant involvement while providing a mechanism that allows for payment of the work the participant is able to provide each given pay period.

About The Yam Design Studio

This Silo aims to provide creative, graphic, and design content for the YAM DAO to facilitate better communication, brand growth, and community building. It does so by developing creative content internally as well as in collaboration with partner silos such as the Yam Re-Org Silo.

Team

The main team consists of current YAM contributors Chilly and IRL design partner Lam. Chilly and Lam collaborate together on the design development of aesthetics for the Yam DAO. While Chilly’s main skillset are in Photoshop, Editing, and Metaverse design work, Lam’s skillset is primarily in Photoshop and Illustrator. We might sub-contract artists within our silo for specific work beyond our skillset.

We collaborate closely with Designer and Ross in the development of the Yam Brand.

Background

The DAO is in flux at the moment and now is the time to re-build the brand around the ideas outlined in our new Yam Re-organization. We want to give clarity and excitement to the new mission of the DAO and bring a lot of care and thought to the design challenges ahead.

Solving these problems is a large task to undertake and measuring success will require long term tracking. The first grant proposal (for May 2022) was to establish the Yam Super Site, a strong visual brand for it, and explore re-establishing a metaverse foothold for Yam.

Over the next three months, we will work on defining a more complete visualization for the new Yam DAO model and develop community facing documents. We will track progress on this Forum Thread.

Goals and Deliverables

Yam Super Site

• Incorporate the work of the Yam Re-Org Silo into the new site, with accompanying visual graphics, infographics, and brand imagery.

Yam Re-Org Social

• Showcase and publish the Yam Re-Org ideas on our socials and medium.

Branding Graphics for Grant Application

• Create graphics for the grant application that showcase the flow on how to get involved with Yam.

Yam Re-Org Campaign

• Develop a marketing campaign to showcase the ideas of the Yam Re-Org.

Complementary Initiatives:

• Metaverse Build Development for community outreach + growth in the metaverse.
  • Community Event in the Metaverse.

Funding Amount Requested:

Total amount to be split 70% in USDC and 30% in YAM at the 30-day TWAP price on the first day of the month after the month for which compensation is being requested.

Range 20 to 40 hrs/week = $6,800 minimum and $13,600 maximum per month

(compensation based on $85 per hr)

:sparkles::sweet_potato: :sparkles:

I think this deserves it’s own topic. It may seem repetitive, but I think following a standard process would help everyone. Quarterly chunk grants make sense to me, but I think it requires more effort upfront in establishing what is going to be delivered and when. I’m not sure I’m following the deliverables here, but I’ll allow for you to respond on making a separate post before getting into the weeds of this grant.