YIP: YAM Mission Statement Ratification

YIP: YAM Mission Statement Ratification

Basic Summary
This proposal is to vote on the Yam’s Mission Statement.

Abstract
The Mission Statement is the culmination of a four-part brand definition process as documented in previous forum posts. Please review and vote on the mission statement. If you vote “No”, please provide a comment. Yam’s mission statement summarizes the purpose that drives the Yam DAO community. It says why Yam does what it does. When Yam considers new opportunities, it relies on the mission to make appropriate decisions.

Motivation
Brands are tools that drive value: it was this premise that motivated Yam contributors to invest time developing the Yam brand. Branding is a long-term strategy that can yield measurable returns throughout the life of Yam as it grows and morphs.

Here are Three reasons to invest time and energy developing the Yam brand.

1. Attract Customers, Yam Members, and Ecosystem Partners
By clearly defining audience personas and crafting marketing messaging that’s specifically targeted at your ideal target audiences. Significantly improve relationships with those that interact with Yam’s brand. And few things are more valuable than brand loyalty.

2. Boost Value of Organization
Never underestimate the power of brand equity. it can have a positive effect on your YAM token price. Stronger brands realize stronger financial performance. The long-term result of branding is that the Yam DAO itself is worth more.

3. Increase Marketing Effectiveness
When your brand is cohesive and well-articulated, your marketing initiatives will be too. Branding encompasses the essential “first steps” that define Yam’s core messaging, brand personality, and marketplace position. A set of guidelines and templates that come out of branding will save Yam time, money, and frustration when developing future initiatives.

Specifications
At the core of the Yam brand is the mission statement which is presented below in both a short-form and a long-form.

Yam’s Mission Statement - short-form
Yam is a collaborative community innovating at the intersection of decentralized governance and programmable finance. Our open, fair and ethical philosophy fosters an inclusive and energetic culture. We are a fair-launch DAO pushing the bounds of innovation and launching experiments to enable the very promise of what DeFi can become for the world: a global, permissionless financial ecosystem.

Yam’s Mission Statement - Long-form
Yam is a community run Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) innovating at the intersection of decentralized governance and programmable finance, bound by shared financial incentives with the goal of empowering people with greater economic benefits and financial well being within the emerging world of Decentralized Finance (DeFi). Yam mission and vision is supported via three guiding pillars.

Fair and Ethical Distribution
By the community, for the community. We are an ultra-committed community of doers embracing an open, fair and ethical philosophy. The Yam community fosters an inclusive, energetic and collaborative culture committed to building valuable products and infrastructure that benefit the Yam community.

Decentralized On-Chain Governance and Treasury
Yam is committed to decentralized protocol ownership, leveraging its powerful and forward-looking community to both build and guide the protocol forward. The community decides together how best to invest the treasury and grow the protocol which can only be performed with approval from YAM holders’ on-chain votes.

Innovation: Unique economics with cutting edge experimentation
Yam seeks to enable the very promise of what DeFi can become for the world: a global, permissionless financial ecosystem. Think of Yam as an idea factory dedicated to creating new innovations and launching experiments. Yam is therefore in uncharted waters, full of unknowns and possibilities, and we like it here. In the midst of these unknowns and possibilities, Yam’s mission serves as its north star.

How Yam is different
While other DeFi ecosystem players subscribe to similar goals, many make various trade-offs for efficiency, security, or profit in place of decentralization and community ownership. These tradeoffs can sometimes be rationalized, but Yam will refuse to stray from our core values, and instead drive confidently forward together with our community.

Poll to Measure Sentiment
Vote Yes: ratifies the Yam Mission Statement
Vote No: rejects the mission statement (please leave a comment with your reason or input)

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Background brand work leading up to the Mission Statement can be viewed here:

Yam Brand Part 1: Brand Perceptions - RFF

Yam Brand Part 2: Current vs Desired Perceptions - RFF

Yam Brand Exploration Part 3: Yamifesto Support Points List RFF

Yam Brand Exploration Part 4: Yam Brand Pillars - RFF

YAM’s mission statement should be: fund management and to build a suite of DeFi applications.

I don’t think the mission statement should include, “full of unknowns” and “uncharted waters”. It just sounds like a project searching for PmF.

1 Like

In general I think mission statements should be a bit more imaginative than “manage funds and build” –– that doesn’t exactly capture the imagination.

I think the proposed mission statement accurately captures the spirit of what Yam is trying to be, and the rest of the mission statement describes how we plan to move forward in these uncharted waters.

2 Likes

YIP:Yam使命宣言核准提案

概述

该提案是对Yam的使命宣言进行投票表决。

摘要

使命宣言是此前论坛讨论中,关于Yam品牌释义内容四个章节的精华部分,现在以文件的形式呈现出来。请回顾这些内容并对使命宣言进行投票表决,如果您投出“否定”票,请提供回复评论表达您的看法。Yam使命宣言归纳了推动YAM自治型社区向前发展的宗旨,阐述了Yam正在做以及为什么做的事项归因。在Yam不断探索新机遇的同时,也会藉由使命宣言的指引做出正确的决策。

动因

品牌是驱动价值的工具:正是基于此前提,才激发了Yam的贡献者们报以时间和精力来挖掘Yam的品牌价值。品牌建设推广是一项长期战略,随着Yam的不断成长和羽翼丰满,品牌凝聚效应所带来的价值收益也将会因此而变得无比巨大丰厚。

以下是我们投入时间和精力开发Yam品牌战略的三个主要动因:

1. 吸引用户,Yam会员以及生态合作伙伴

明确典型的受众角色,针对理想目标人群设计精准的营销信息,卓有成效的提升与Yam品牌进行互动的群体之间的关系,没有什么会比品牌忠诚度更具价值。

2. 提升组织价值

永远不要低估品牌权益的力量,它会对YAM代币的价格产生积极影响。强而有力的品牌可以收获更佳的财务业绩。通过品牌化战略的长期作用,不断提升Yam自治组织的自我价值。

3. 提高营销效果

如果一个品牌具有凝聚效应并带有鲜明的表述,那么它的营销行为也应该如此。品牌推广本身包含了许多必不可少的“第一步”,它们明确了Yam的核心讯息、品牌调性以及市场定位。一套围绕品牌战略的指导方针和范本将会为Yam节省时间与金钱,并为日后的发展铺平道路。

详细说明

使命宣言作为Yam的品牌内核,将以摘要版和完整版两种形式分别呈现。

Yam使命宣言 - 摘要版

Yam自治型社区诞生于去中心化治理与程序化金融发展进程的交汇处。我们有着包容协作且充满活力的社区文化,信奉公开、公平、诚信的价值理念。Yam以公平方式启动了自己的去中心化自治组织(DAO),通过不断实验创新推动实现DeFi的美好愿景:构建无需许可的全球性金融生态体系。

Yam使命宣言 - 完整版

作为一个去中心化自治型社区,Yam诞生于去中心化治理与程序化金融发展进程的交汇处,并融合了共享金融的激励因子。其目标是根植于新兴的DeFi领域,为人们带来更多经济上的回报,使之可以享受金融福祉。Yam的使命和愿景由以下三个导向作为支撑:

公平诚信的分发原则

以“源于社区,回馈社区”为宗旨,坚定的Yam社区由一群信奉公开、公平、诚信价值理念的实干家组建而成,致力于为社区创造出有价值的产品并打下坚实的基础,共同培育出包容、积极、协作的社区文化氛围。

去中心化治理与金库机制

Yam坚持将治理权下放,利用去中心化治理的强大力量结合社区的前瞻性目光,一同指引和推动Yam协议向前发展。经由Yam代币持有者进行链上投票治理,社区将共同决定项目金库资产的最佳使用方法和投资途径。

创新:经济学的先锋实验

Yam寻求将DeFi的美好愿景变为现实:构建一个无需许可的全球性金融生态体系。设想Yam作为一家创意工厂,致力于孵化创新与实验实践,将自身推向未知领域的同时,也令未来充满无限的可能,而这正是Yam的魅力之所在。在茫茫未知与可能之间,Yam的使命责任将始终如北极星般指引着我们前进的方向。

Yam如何与众不同

尽管其它DeFi生态的参与者们也认可大致相同的目标,但许多项目都出于效率,安全性,或是收益方面的考虑,牺牲了部分去中心化特性和社区治理权限。这些权衡在某些时候可能是合理的,但Yam对这些折衷行为将予以拒绝,我们将秉持自身的核心价值观,迈着坚定自信的步伐,与社区共同携手前行。

民意测验

投赞成票:认可Yam使命宣言

投反对票:拒绝该版使命宣言(请回复留言表明您的态度和观点)

It’s not talking about the major issues that prevents new investments. The “brand” does not exist yet. First step in creating the brand is to link the YAM token to any future revenues. This is seriously the absolute minimum.

We need less talk and more action. “Mission statement” is not needed now.

What I like from: https://dxdao.eth.link/#/ don’t think it’s covered explicitly:

• No Hierarchies -> The current job roles included quite some managers and leads.
  • Symmetry of Information -> Is written before, all processes and actions should be well documented enough for the DAO to act autonomously.

This requires a tremendous amount of actual work. This will be one of my duties to organize and propose structure so that it can be run autonomously but this actually needs to be put together by someone.

@designer Thanks for bringing this up and for the draft. Please, do you know what the mission statements of other projects are? In general, I am missing a part of bringing value to the community. We should be transparent about it too. Also, as it is an international community and the level of command of English differs (e.g. me). I suggest using simple and shorter descriptions. They will have a much better impact. In that sense, I tried to rephrase “Yam’s Mission Statement - short-form”

Yam is an open, fair, and ethical community of people who are working together. We are experimenting at the intersection of decentralized governance and programmable finance with the aim of improving financial ecosystem and capturing the value for members.

Am also planning to write a short essay during a weekend around this topic. I will post here.

EDIT: I found this link: https://daotalk.org/t/dxdao-manifesto/2161

2 Likes

This is very similar to Designer’s statement. I like both but @designer’s statement is more of a “lofty” goal, something that I think needs to be in a short mission statement.

Of course documentation and testing is ~30% till 40% of the overall software project work effort.

Claiming professional documentation will only happen if somebody gets paid, well a good reason to show the door to any trainee, candidate or somebody on probation time.

Never claimed this, only claimed that it take lots of work.
I am curious, do you do professional documentation for free? Can you do ours please?